Quarterly Meeting Summary
GREYMONT RESIDENTS FORUM Quarterly Meeting18:30 – September 9, 2014 N G KERK, 2ND ROAD, GREYMONT
CLIVE MALHERBE WELCOMED THE GREYMONT RESIDENTS AND OUR GUEST SPEAKERS FROM PIKITUP.
RECYCLING AND E WASTE – OUR GUESTS FROM PIKITUP BRIAN WILLIAMS (MANAGER WATERFALL), MELVIN JACOBIE (OPERATIONS MANAGER WATERFALL) ROCHELLE (CLUSTER HEAD MANAGER) OF PIKITUP
Melvin spoke about educating the general public and the new bags that were dropped off by Pikitup on Monday 8th Sept. 2014. Concerns were raised about independent recyclers who dump the rubbish in the streets, and don’t clean up behind themselves.
Everything except wet waste is recyclable, CD’s, cling film, milk bottles. Wash out milk bottles and cans please. Pikitup will collect bottles, cans, milk bottles, paper. E Waste is batteries, old cell phones, calculators, old computers, old TV’S etc. Fairlands and Victory Park Dump Depot will take E Waste.
Pikitup will collect residents’ e-waste after residents have called Pikitup to request their assistance. E-waste can be all electronic & electrical appliances like old fridges, microwaves, stoves, washing machines, computers, irons, toasters play-stations, sound systems etc. Telephone number is available from Clive.
All Pikitup Garden waste sites will allow roughly a wheel barrow load of building rubble.
Rochelle will send us a list of which refuse sites will take what waste products and contact numbers.
Wheelie Bins Policy – if your bin is stolen or you need to replace a damaged bin; Pikitup need an affidavit if bin is stolen and then phone 011 375 5555 or 0860 562 874 choose the Pikitup function and get a reference number. Same procedure if a bin is damaged or wheels need to be replaced. Residents will be happy to know that they do not have to pay for a replacement bin any longer. Thanks to Pikitup for this new policy change.
Illegal Dumping – must be reported to JMPD, Clive will post these details on our website. Pikitup should also be advised and they will follow up with the offenders.
Pick n Pay Northcliff might be able to sponsor bins for the recycling batteries and small E Waste, Clive is liaising with them.
QUARTERLY REPORT BACK FROM THE GREYMONT RESIDENTS’ FORUM CHAIRPERSON, MR. CLIVE MALHERBE:
WHAT THE GREYMONT RESIDENTS FORUM HAS ACCOMPLISHED IN THE LAST QUARTER:
- PAINTING OF STREET CURBS. Clive thanked all those who contributed very generously to the Winter Project. Thus far we have done the entire upper Greymont (7-15th streets). We are presently in 4th street working our way to 1st street. We thank Robert our worker for excellent and dedicated work! It really makes a huge difference to our Suburb.
- We thank Citypower for granting our request of increasing the lighting in 4th road and in 12th and 13th street cul- de-sacs. It has made the road and streets much better lit. We requested this for security and road safety reasons.
- We also thank Joburg Water for timeously coming to repair burst water pipes, leaking meters and replacing water meter covers. Their service is excellent. Their prompt service in stopping the sewerage spillage in our stream was excellent –with 2 hours after reporting it.
- We also thank JRA for fixing all potholes reported within 48 hours. However, their service is generally poor for replacing storm water covers as well as painting targeted roads in Greymont – we are waiting since October last year!
- A huge thanks to Pikitup for their on-going excellence in giving us same day service in picking up bags on work we do on pavements and roads. They also come and remove illegal dumping usually the same day as well. We thank their ladies for picking up litter in designated streets once a week.
- We thank Facilities Management for sorting our lights in the Carel Venter Park as well as replacing colonial poles both along 6th road west and around the CVPark. After requesting, it took 5 days for these to be attended to.
- We also handed over a Service Excellence Award to Citypower (Hurst Hill Depot) for increasing our lighting and coming to fix lights that are not working (within 48 hours). This award only addresses the above issues.
- We signed 2 Petitions: One to change the name of The Carel Venter Park to the Greymont Park. The other petition is to petition the City of Joburg to ban fireworks entirely from residential areas. This petition is found on our website and another initiative is joining with us (3500) signatures already collected. Both petitions are still open and you are able to object to either by emailing me or Steve Kotze until 30 September 2014.
- T – SHIRTS – to date 17 T-shirts have been ordered/ sold. Profit from them R850.00. Every Wednesday I place an order and collect them on the Weekend. Please all order them – they are fantastic especially in this weather! See them on our website under “store”.
- Besides the curb painting – Robert has also done the following:
- Emptying of bins on a regular basis – Pikitup collects these bags
- Raking of leaves at the Pond a few times ( lessen debris into pond)
- Cleaning up of stream on 2 occasions
- Brush cutting Park, around Pond, Grass embankment on 6th road west
- Clearing of debris from Pond 2 workers for 2 days
- Picking up litter in the streets
- Motor mechanic – 19 2nd road. Inspectors from various departments were requested by us to pressurise owner/ tenant for by law compliance (Metro Police, Urban management, environmental health and SPCA). I also drafted a letter and delivered it on behalf of the forum for the owner to take action against the tenant.
- Bee keeping /hives. A few of us met a beekeeper at Alberts Farm after looking at the possibility of having bee hives again at Alberts Farm. It was found not suitable for a number of reasons. We are gathering further information about possibility of residents keeping bees. I will get back to you when further information is shared.
Contact Steve if you need a swarm removed.
- A huge thanks to Martijn for the creating and updating such a professional website we have at www.greymont.co.za. We also thank the team organising the Parkruns as well as thanking the Friends of Alberts farm in organising a well- attended Spring fair. Greymont is becoming the place to be!
- But the biggest thanks goes to the residents for their continued moral and financial support of the work we do in Greymont under the auspices of the Forum. Without your contributions we would definitely not have such a wonderful suburb to live in!
Reporting of Faults – Please contact Clive as he has good contacts with most maintenance problems.
Water leaking in 12th Street – Clive and Steve to investigate this constant water leakage. Apparently the pipes are in need of replacement. Clive has reported it and got a reference number (10 Sept 2014)
Lew Geffen made a contribution from the Spring Faire to the Residents Forum of R265. Many thanks to the good folk at Lew Geffen.
The Parkrun is at Alberts Farm every Saturday at 08:00. It is a 5 km course and takes an hour if you walk the course. Register on the Parkrun website, and you will also get Vitality Points if you do the run/walk.
The meeting was adjourned at 19:55.
All Greymont Residents need to add input and contribute to the maintenance of our suburb, please do not leave this to the Forum Executive only, we need your active participation at all levels.